The Traveler's First Aid Kit

I always travel with a first aid kit.  I have a mini-version for short domestic trips and a larger one stocked for longer trips or overseas trips.  My focus is on preventing or treating things that will slow us down, like blisters, bug bites, or sunburns.  Disclaimer: I am not trying to offer any medical advice here, just some packing suggestions.  If you have serious health issues, you would obviously want to consult your own physician to get personalized recommendations.  I have some brand name product recommendations that I like below, but this doesn’t mean the generic versions aren’t perfectly fine. 


I don’t even travel to work without a few adhesive bandages.  Bring a variety of shapes and sizes so you can have the best fit.  I highly recommend BandAid® Blister Bandages.  These have saved many a trip for us, and I bring as many as I have room for.  I carry them in my pocket or bag when I know we are going to be doing any hiking or a fair amount of walking. Consider packing a few waterproof bandages and a few that have antibiotic ointment right in the pad.   

Better still, bring triple antibiotic ointment, cream or spray.  I prefer the kinds that also have pain reliever.  Neosporin® + Pain ReliefNEO TO GO! is particularly useful when hiking (and I would probably say when camping, too, but camping is not my thing).  The tubes themselves can be purchased in pretty small (meaning convenient) tubes, but I also carry individual packets of triple antibiotic ointment.  These have become harder to find, but they are handy when packing space is limited. 

I mentioned blister bandages, but a recent find that I like is a friction blocker called Body Glide® This can ease friction on spots that are rubbing up against your shoes, and has an added benefit of being an anti-chafing balm. 

Some over-the-counter medications that can come in handy include a pain and fever reliever like acetaminophen or ibuprofen; an antihistamine like diphenhydramine; an antacid like calcium carbonate; and Pepto-Bismal® (I like the chewable tablets, they are easier to carry). 

Always travel with sunscreen and apply according to the package directions.  My favorite sunscreens include Neutragena® Ultra Sheer Body Mist®  and I carry a sunscreen stick with me in my bag .  Certain destinations should prompt bug spray as well.  Due to recent concerns for mosquito-borne illnesses, I have a stock of Repel® Lemon Eucalyptus  and Skin So Soft® products that have bug guard and SPF protection.  In case of bug bites (or other minor causes of skin itching), I carry a Benadryl® Itch Relief Stick.  

I pack our first aid kit into our checked luggage so I can carry a small pair of cuticle scissors and tweezers. Saline eye drops can be used to moisten dry eyes, or to wash irritants or small particles from the eyes.  However, eye injuries can be very serious so seek medical attention if you feel like you have a particle in your eye that you cannot wash out, if the irritant or injury is causing a change in vision or drainage.  Always pack a copy of your medical insurance card, and bring a supply of all your prescription medications.  Make sure you have a (non-expired) epi pen if you have any serious allergies.

I mention this in another post, but if you are traveling internationally, have a look at the CDC Travelers' Health website for travel health notices, current immunization recommendations, tips to avoid preventable disease, and other health-related items to include on your packing list.


No comments

Powered by Blogger.